Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Drugs for gluten - oh dear!

Diet not drugs is my mantra. This is the philosophy of my clinic. It is clear that many illnesses are gluten-induced. However, doctors usually treat the symptoms of their patient's with drugs. Although it would be better to treat the underlying condition, which is often celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (gluten syndrome). Of course, the treatment is a gluten-free diet.

The weird thing is that even when the gluten-illness is eventually diagnosed, some people still want to take drugs instead of diet. How odd!

I have just had a phone call from Julian who lives in a far-away city. He has recently been diagnosed with celiac disease and he is wondering whether to look at vaccines or drugs for celiac disease. He is wanting an easy fix for his illness without really trying out gluten-free.

I told him quite bluntly that he should stick to 100% gluten-free rather than trying to immunologically change his body. He is so addicted to gluten and this lifestyle that he is overwhelmed buy the thought of turning his food and social life upside down.

In my opinion, celiac disease with its serious gut damage, is only a minor part of the gluten problem. It is the anti-gluten immunological response, body-wide, which causes the long term damage. This includes neurological harm and autoimmune disease triggering.

I have stated this before. I suggest changing your food, rather than changing your immune system.

I do hope that Julian heeds my advice.

Cheers, Dr Rodney Ford

http://www.drrodneyford.com

No comments:

Post a Comment